Today, it’s easy to march downtown and then head out to breakfast. It’s easy to find a quote online, or tell the world why we have a dream and add a few hashtags. #iHaveAdream #MLK #Equality #HappyBirthday
While these acts are awesome (and worthwhile), let’s channel that energy and motivation each and every day we are 10 toes down.
Here is what I challenge myself to do over the next year in honor of Dr. MLK and the movement:
1. I will not judge a book by its cover. I will give everyone a chance to show me who they are, instead of allowing any labels to dictate how I treat you.
2. I will challenge those around me to be more giving, caring, and empathetic to others (regardless of race, class, gender, sexuality, etc.).
3. I will volunteer and work in areas that directly impact social justice.
4. I will not be a silent observer of social injustice in any form at any level.
5. I will not apologize for demanding equality and equity in the systems within which I participate.
What are you going to do?!